Saturday, April 24, 2010

Cherry Blossom Stage 2

Todays stage was 54 miles of climbing, if there was a downhill section of that road I don't recall it. And not just because I blacked out more times than I care to share.

The race started out ok just like the rest we did the two small loops with punchy little climbs that softened up the legs that were already mush. The group stayed together just fine through those little loops. Then we made a left and up we went, again. That's when the screws were turned and I lost contact. I was cross eyed trying to stay in contact and inside the cars that couldn't see straight and was weaving all over the road. To make matters worse the back stretch had a false flat to a climb with a headwind, oh and the headwind by the way no matter which way you went today was there. Brutal! Demoralizing! We got to the next up hill bit, about a mile and half of dirt road that was a true tempo climb. That went on for 3 laps. Did it sound like it was all up hill? That's cause it was!

The last lap a group of us had formed out side the cars just trying to limit our damage, and save some face. When we got to the final climb, on the dirt stretch, I started to lose consciousness, no kidding, I dipped so far into the tank that I was seeing twice as many stars and begging for my mamma. That climb turned me into a little kid. The lights started to go and I grabbed everything I could find to eat, I even got a little nibble of my right index finger. Poured some water down my throat and finished the climb. Just as we topped out some pros went by me like I was standing still. Hell I thought, in my not so lucid state, that I was actually going downhill and wobbled a little in fright. Then I do remember one descent that I suppose we must have done before but couldn't tell ya. I was so out of it that I think my body was trying to crash the bike on the descent so that I wouldn't have do this anymore.

I collapsed at the finish! I am 22 min back

No comments:

Post a Comment