Friday, April 23, 2010

Cherry Blossom Pre Stage 1

5:30 alarm, "I'm a Beggar in the morning" by The Barr Brothers. And I kinda am. I am begging for more sleep. I roll out of bed to make coffee and spew some words on this page before the big first stage of the weekend. Today appears to be a bit windy and that doesn't help matters. It looks to be an easterly which means that not only will we have a climb today but it will have a nasty headwind on the climb and on the descent. Perfect. Beautiful day though. It is awesome that the Fieldings let me stay here for this race. Guy, the Fieldings son, and I joked over email about me mowing the lawn whether it needs it or not because his dad has a sign up that says so. His dad didn't take at as a joke, he said the lawnmower's in the garage... So I guess I am mowing the lawn after stage one today. The life of an amateur bike racer just isn't as glamorous as we'd like. When was the last time Hincapie mowed his own lawn after a stage race? Or at all! Then there is the fact that I'm going to work on Monday, or at least I'm showing up.

Let's hope I show up at the race today. I don't feel so confident this morning about how this is going to go. I know there are some guys that are coming that plan on tearing me apart and everyone else for that matter. It's not personal, they're just stronger than me... for now. I'm just trying not to lose time today. But I am as tapered, tuned, and as thin as I can be. So what races today is what I am no excuses. This is one test that I did study for, unlike the PE, and today we find out if I am bringing a knife to a gunfight.

No comments:

Post a Comment