Friday, April 23, 2010

Cherry Blossom Stage 1

It was a gorgeous start to the day. A little breeze, about 60 degrees and sunny. Some high clouds. We got to reconnect with friends and chatter a little and shit talk with some rivals. We got placed right next to the Team O guys in the lot and jive talk a bit.

I do like stage racing though. You really get to test your legs and lungs. Here is where you find out if you've done things right over the past few months, and if it was worth alienating all those relationships during the winter. It's just a different atmosphere joking and relaxing, all I do for three days is ride my bike at a blistering pace, eat and sleep. I love it.

The race started out reasonable enough. A little wind, and little casual conversation, and then we hit the first climb. People shut up and turned the screws. The first time up that climb wasn't horrible but you could tell that it wasn't going to get any easy with every time up.

The strong guys were all marking each other and I was marking them just trying not to lose time and still trying to test if I am strong enough to hang with them. There are a group of guys, about 12 strong, that are all going to upgrade after this race and I am going to see where I fit with them before they leave.

The back stretch was casual each time, the group was getting smaller each time as the big climb became selective every time up it. The third time up the climb, I didn't think I was going to be able to make up with the lead group. Lap two had hurt me badly enough that I was in danger of getting dropped on that third climb. I redefined how deep into the pain cave I can really go today. And I guess once your fitness is there that really is what racing is about. How much can you hurt. I have realized that I have levels of pain to reach that I didn't know existed. I am sure there are layers still left to peel away.

I finished with the lead group of about 50 guys. It was a sprint finish and I didn't lose any time. Beautiful day, great race, tomorrow will likely be a different story.

No comments:

Post a Comment