Friday, April 3, 2009

Cherry Blossom Stage 1- 4/3/09

Man it is frickin’ cold out. Went for a spin this morning to make sure the bike was rolling right and check out the new chain, works ok except for the 11 is rough getting into, like I’ll need that today. Forecasts show 56 maybe some rain and oh yeah 20mph head wind, I hate wind. The people who say the wind is the same as hills are crazy, What about head wind and climbing, yeah… ‘cause that’s what we have today. We will be working on the descents today, hell there will be no descent today… god someone remind why this is fun. I better stop typing before I convince myself not to race. The legs feel good for now but we will see on that first bump if they will pull me over the hill. If not I can grab the saddle of one the 80 other cat 4’s, That’s right 80, holly shit that is a lot of riders, the crit is going to be mayhem. I didn’t think there would be that many people out there begging for pain this early in the year.

Ok some assholes showed up and decided to turn a perfectly good ride into a pain fest. The role out was nice but we were doing 40 on the flats, some of the guys were saying they had 450 watts in pack, I don’t know what that means but it sounds like a lot. I know whoever was pulling that hard wasn’t doing it easily or at least I hope not. What a leg burner with 161 bpm avg. I touched 183 bpm twice. Did I mention that was a painful race? For some reason we were all using the climbs for recovery, I have to say that is first for me in a race. In fact we were going faster on the flats than on the descents. Partly because all of that 20 mph wind showed up and more. If this is any indication of what is to come for Sunday or Saturday night than there is only more pain to come and I am not sure I am ok with that. I don't blame those Tour guys for doping let 'em dope this hurts. I am actually looking forward to the TT ‘cause no one is going to make me go 40mph. There were some real freaks that showed up for this race.

I got shelled right near the last climb. It is embarrassing to say that I consider this race a success because I made the first break on the last lap going into that climb. But couldn't hold the 800 watt tempo into the gale force winds. I got picked up by a group of riders that had organized themselves. I got second wheel and my heart rate dropped 20 beats and I could breathe again and go faster. That wind was horrible. Then we got close to the finish line and some people wanted to race for 40th place. I don’t usually yell at riders but I lost my temper and told ‘em that “lets just get back we all get the same time. and to F'n pull!” We finished somewhere around 1:45:00 probably 2 min back. I don’t feel so bad though there were guys rolling in what seamed like 20 min. afterward. Someone said I have to race tomorrow too? That is BS. This has the honor of being the single hardest race I have ever done! I need to get to recovering.

No comments:

Post a Comment