Sunday, March 29, 2009

3/24/09

BB #4. After more than a year I am back in the pelaton. I am riding with pain but training and riding none the less. I spend about twice the time working on my neck as I do riding.

I was afraid that my fitness wasn’t going to be on but I am actually feeling pretty good and planning on doing something at Cherry Blossom, like staying in the race. But today was spent working some of the time and chatting at the back with some guy with a new BMC, stupid name (Bicycle Manufacturing Company, couldn’t come up with a better name than that? Lame!). On the third lap I was just ridin’ along (JRA) and some how ended up off the front. I looked back and no one was doing anything about it. I didn’t want to go off the front and hadn’t planned on it. In fact quite the opposite, I wanted to spend my time in the bunch saving my legs for the end. But the boys seemed to be calling me out so off I went. I was reintroduced to my old pain. I went up the road and got a healthy gap and looked down at my HR monitor. It was flashing STOP! My legs agreed but my head was overruling. I could see a couple of people trying to make the gap but couldn’t. Then as I got out of sight one little guy came up just as we hit the long descent to the dam. “Thank GOD!”

We rolled over the dam and the little guy was starting to pull and we were working well together but I just couldn’t get a break behind the little fella. We had no chance. My nose was in the wind the whole time. Oh well it was back to the bunch at Lee hill and time to recover for the finish. If that is possible. The decision was made to help a guy from our team take another win at BB so I took the first pull up Lee Hill on the fourth lap and let ‘em fly. Good thing too because I missed a crash off the back and was able to still finish middle of the pack.

Good Job Johnny and Brian. What a great first race back.

No comments:

Post a Comment