Monday, February 8, 2010

2.8.10 Prerace Cherry Pie

I have less than a week to the first race of the year. I am going to make a huge effort this year to blog all the single day races. Last year I tried but with little success. I can blog from my iPhone now so that should make it easier.

I’m racing for a new team this year. Ten Guys Named Alex. Sean suckered me into the group so that the kit costs were lower. It is a good group of guys to ride with. I like the dynamic of the group, I’d say there are some of them that are more synical and bigger smart asses then me even.

This winter has been good in spite of my neck issues. I’ve had some high teens weeks leading up to a 21 hour week. I’ve been maintaining about 13 hours on the bike since. I feel like my volume has been sufficient and frequent enough now that I can prepare amply for Elkhorn. It’s scary to say and admit. But I have no excuses. If I don’t do well, I messed up my training plan, I am not fit enough, I’m not genetically meant to race, whatever it is, it won’t be from a lack of effort.

This week is going to be a normal week going into Cherry Pie. No taper or special week preparation. The plan is to use the early season races to boost my fitness for Cherry Blossom. I got a power tap this winter, and I just started doing power intervals last week. Those have been going well. While my LT threshold endurance isn’t high, I am hoping that my aerobic endurance is good enough that everyone else will be tired at the end of the race and I will have lots left? We will see. Top ten finishes would be what I am looking for. Points; that’s all I want, lots of racing and lots of points.

I’ve been fighting off a looming cold this last week. I noticed it last Thursday and I’ve been powering down zinc and vitamin C. It has yet to get a grip on me but I am afraid that it will wait till Friday and leave me weak and tired on Saturday. Time will tell. I am excited for the season to get here!

No comments:

Post a Comment